Friday, November 14, 2014

My chickens ate my Lemon Balm

Checking the garden today, I discovered the unthinkable (for me). My beloved plant was gone! My chickens ate my Lemon Balm! Doing a quick internet search, I find out that most of the chickens like it! Our chickens love all the greens, from green onions, cabbage to… Lemon Balm!
 
Lemon balm (Melissa officinalis) is an herb often used to treat anxiety and stress. A member of the mint family, lemon balm contains terpenes (chemicals thought to produce a relaxing effect). Common health claims for lemon balm include the treatment and/or prevention of these conditions: anxiety, depression, hypertension, fever, nausea, digestion problems, dysmenorrhea, migraines, herpes, dementia (One small study demonstrated decreased stress and agitation in patients with dementia and Alzheimer disease), insomnia, cold sores, hyperthyroidism etc.
Teas:
Combines well with these herbs: lavender, lemongrass, peppermint, lavender.
De-stress recipe:
For anxiety, frazzle nerves, exhaustion and irritability: dilute 3 drops of melissa, 2 drops of bergamot, 2 drops of chamomile in 1 teaspoon of almond oil and add to the bath water.
Pregnant and breastfeeding women should not take lemon balm.

No comments:

Post a Comment